Drake Wuertz Admits He Had COVID, Wasn’t Surprised By WWE Release

Drake Wuertz Admits He Had COVID, Wasn’t Surprised By WWE Release

Controversial NXT referee Drake Wuertz was sacked by WWE on May 19, and he has now spoken at length about his firing, admitting he wasn’t surprised that it happened.

Speaking to Fireside Chat, Wuertz said:

“I was expecting it. My heart had not been in it for the past six months. It got to the point where I didn’t feel right about the atmosphere and I was just coming to work for the paycheck. When it gets to that point, it’s time to step away. I went into work to go to Terry Taylor’s class and was called into the office. Canyon Ceman let me know I was being let go. It wasn’t surprising. They let me go say goodbye to the coaches I was closest with, Terry Taylor and Matt Bloom. It was bittersweet because I spent more time there than I did my own family. It wasn’t my performance. My performance never wavered and the trust in the ring never wavered. I was frequently requested by top talent.”

He was asked when he felt as though attitudes within WWE started to change towards him.

“November, right around the election. It all started with woke cancel culture that just wants to attack people because they have views they don’t agree with. It started specifically with me and WWE was when David Bixenspan started attacking me. That’s when the ball got rolling.”

The Bixenspan article Wuertz referenced can be read in full here.

Wuertz went on to discuss the two-week suspension he was handed at the start of 2021, and still believes it was wrong.

“A month before WrestleMania, I get a call from my department head, Scott Armstrong, who says, ‘Somebody tested positive at work, we’re asking everyone to quarantine.’ I called him back and was like, ‘I have stuff to do. I’m not sick. I tested negative. I haven’t been around anyone.’ I told him I had church, the Walk For Life, and I coach my son’s baseball team. Those responsibilities were more important to me than pleasing WWE. I told him, ‘No, I’m not staying home.’ I got a call saying, ‘You’re off TV for two weeks, you violated quarantine.’ ‘For going to church?’ They refused to answer.”

Wuertz, who has been openly critical of people wearing masks to try and keep other human beings safe, then admitted that he tested positive for COVID last year.

“Of course I believe in COVID. My grandparents have both had it. I caught it for a little bit. A whole chunk of the roster caught it. I didn’t have any symptoms, the only reason I knew I had it is because they stick the stick up our nose two times a week.”

Credit to Fightful for the transcription.

What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.

2 years ago by Andy Datson


JOIN THE WrestleTalk logo mailing list

Get the latest wrestling news straight to your inbox

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from WrestleTalk