The Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton SummerSlam 2016 main event might have gone nearly 12 minutes, but after the match all fans could take about was the bout’s final few seconds.
In what was undeniably a shocking turn of events, Brock Lesnar seemingly legitimately busted Randy Orton’s head open with some brutal-looking elbow strikes, and the match ended by referee stoppage.
It was even questioned if the spot was planned, with some reports suggesting that the UFC Hall of Famer went off script and seriously hurt Orton. This was intensified when it was rumoured that Chris Jericho squared up to Lesnar backstage after watching the events unfold in the ring.
However while speaking to Wade Keller of PWTorch, Jon Moxley has interesting revealed that he pitched the spot four months prior in April 2016 before his match with Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 32. However, it was ultimately shut down and later given to Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton at that year’s SummerSlam.
“I even pitched that he just elbows the s**t out of me and does a doctor stoppage. The same thing he did with Randy at SummerSlam. That’ll be cool. And you can’t say there’ll be blood because they immediately stopped the match.”
The man formerly known as Dean Ambrose did not give any reason why WWE shot down the idea for him and Brock WrestleMania 32, but allowed Randy Orton and Lesnar to do it mere months later.
That was not the only great spot that Jon Moxley pitched before his match on the “grandest stage of them all” with the former Universal Champion, with the former WWE Champion recently revealing the issues he faced while working with Brock.
Thanks to 411mania.com for the transcription.
- Official WrestleMania 39 Night One & Two Lineups Revealed
- Newest Update On Bobby Lashley Vs. Bray Wyatt WrestleMania 39 Status
- Report: AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired
- Revealed: Will Vince McMahon Be At WrestleMania 39
- AEW Star Legitimately Injured On Dynamite
- Shock Return & Heel Turn On AEW Dynamite
- Clarification On WrestleMania 39 Night One Main Event
- Update On Legitimate Injury During AEW Dynamite
- AEW All Access Reveals Young Bucks Considered Retirement After All Out
- Potential Spoiler On Major Musical Artist Set For WrestleMania 39