Last night at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view, Tom Phillips of NXT UK and Hall of Famer Jerry “The King” Lawler commentated on Monday Night Raw’s matches.
This was a shock as Vic Joseph has been the lead commentator for Monday Night Raw since the “season premiere” of the show on 09/30. Vic has also called Raw’s matches on all pay-per-views since the brand split.
Many people initially speculated that Joseph was unwell and was being temporarily replaced by Tom Phillips. However, it seems like this is not the case.
According to reliable Twitter source WrestleVotes, Joseph is going to be replaced by Tom Phillips as Raw’s full-time lead announcer. The change was confirmed during the Royal Rumble show.
Tom Phillips is replacing Vic Joseph on commentary for the RAW brand going forward.
— WrestleVotes (@WrestleVotes) January 27, 2020
There is no word on why WWE decided to make the change. For what it’s worth, I am surprised that Tom Phillips has been drafted in as I thought Vic Joseph was doing a great job as the voice of Raw.
This is not the first change that the Raw commentary team has seen over the last few months. In November, Dio Maddin was replaced by Samoa Joe as the third man in the commentary booth.
Despite doing a stellar job on commentary, Joe lasted a few weeks in the new role as he had been cleared to return to the ring.
- WWE Hall Of Famer The Iron Sheik Passes Away Aged 81
- Major Change To Seth Rollins’ Upcoming Marvel Movie
- WWE Posts Statement On The Passing Of The Iron Sheik
- VIDEO: Solo Sikoa Has Hilarious Exchange With Young Fan At WWE Live Event
- Top Star Wants ‘Correct Amount Of Money’ For CM Punk Forbidden Door Match
- Another Championship Match Announced For June 7 AEW Dynamite
- Solo Sikoa Hints At Jey Uso’s Potential Bloodline Future
- Ex-WWE Name Concerned That Top Star Would Be ‘Wardlow-ed’ In AEW
- ‘Well-Liked’ AEW Name Retiring
- WWE Tag Team Confirmed For Match Against Each Other