New Japan Pro Wrestling took the time today to announce their full schedule for the upcoming tournament of the year, the G1 Climax 29. Interestingly, the month-long event will not begin in Japan for the first time in its history. In fact, proceedings will kick off in Dallas, TX, USA.
As always, the winner of the tournament will earn an opportunity at the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 14 in January next year. If he manages holds onto the title, that means the winner will go on to face the the current champ ‘Switchblade’ Jay White.
Hiroshi Tanahashi won the title from Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 13 earlier this year after earning the opportunity to do so at last year’s G1 Climax, beating Kota Ibushi in the finals. He lost it to Jay White a few weeks later at The New Beginning In Osaka.
You can check out NJPW’s announcement video below:
In case you don’t need or want to listen to the full announcement in Japanese, here it is in list form:
- July 6: American Airlines Center in Dallas TX
- July 13: Ota City General Gymnasium in Tokyo
- July 14: Ota City General Gymnasium in Tokyo
- July 15: Hokkai Kitayell in Hokkaido
- July 18: Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
- July 19: Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
- July 20: Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
- July 24: Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall in Hiroshima
- July 27: Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium in Aichi
- July 28: Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium in Aichi
- July 30: Takamatsu City General Gymnasium in Kagawa
- August 1: Fukuoka Citizen Gymnasium in Fukuoka
- August 3: Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka
- August 4: Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka
- August 7: Hamamatsu Arena in Shizuoka
- August 8: Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium in Kanagawa
- August 10: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo
- August 11: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo
- August 12: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo