Former WWE star Ari Daivari has explained the inspiration behind his name change following his AEW debut.
Prior to his AEW run, Ari Daivari wrestled using his real name, Ariya Daivari.
Daivari even used his birth name while with WWE, following his debut in the 2016 Cruiserweight Classic.
Speaking on AEW Unrestricted, Daivari recalled being told that everyone from the Cruiserweight Classic would get to keep their names to capitalise on the tournament’s hype.
Explaining why he now goes by ‘Ari’, Daivari said:
“My real name is Ariya Daivari, and it’s kinda cool that I got to wrestle in WWE under my real name.
“They wanted to capitalize on any buzz anyone had from the Cruiserweight Classic, so they said, ‘everybody gets to keep their names,’ which was pretty unprecedented because while I was there guys are getting their names changed and stuff like that.
“That was just a small detail that Tony liked.I know he’s a big fan of the show ‘Entourage,’ and he’s a big fan of Ari Gold. ‘Ariya, Ari, that’s kinda cool.’
“As much as I loved using my real name in professional wrestling, it gets butchered all the time.Ring announcers, commentary, on my debut on ‘Raw’ Michael Cole f**ked up my name.
“So Ari seems to be a lot easier for people.”
Ari Daivari last wrestled at the November 2 AEW Dark: Elevation taping, teaming with Jeeves Kay & Slim J to face ROH Trios Tag Team Champions Dalton Castle & The Boys.
This bout aired on the November 7 episode.
Stay up to date with AEW win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker right here.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Major Change Confirmed For WrestleMania 39 Match
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Vince McMahon Era Rule ‘Effectively Dead’ Under Triple H
- Former WWE Star Announces Retirement