Per Fightful Select (subscription required), multiple sources have confirmed that WWE has had preliminary talks with EA about bringing the WWE Games line over.
The report pointed out that WWE 2K22 has been viewed as a ‘make or break’ release in the series. WWE reportedly last signed a contract with 2K in 2016, for what is believed to be a six year deal, with options to extend. It is worth noting that details on the deal were never officially made public.
Talks between WWE and EA have been on and off for a number of years, but new discussions reportedly began following WWE’s disappointment with WWE 2K20, and the lukewarm reception to WWE 2K Battlegrounds.
One source reportedly noted the following:
“WWE has shown a lot of frustration with the reception and lack of success of recent games. The gaming market is a major selling point for them, and they believe they’ve fallen behind the competition.”
WWE reportedly sees other sports games as competition for WWE games, feeling that wrestling fans are making the decision to purchase other sports titles.
WWE and 2K have had a complicated relationship over the years, which you can read about in more detail in the original report.
Several individuals within 2K are reportedly confident that WWE will remain with the developers, with one individual within the WWE 2K22 team believing that the effort that everyone has put into the new release will convince WWE to stay with them.
You can view the full roster for WWE 2K22 at this link.
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Major Spoiler For Jade Cargill WWE Debut?
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Reveals WWE Backstage Reaction To AEW Switch
- VIDEO: Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) Immediate Backstage Reaction To AEW Debut
- Recent WWE Surprise Was A ‘Late Creative Decision’
- SmackDown Star Shares Cryptic Message Amid WWE Absence
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Pitches For Major First-Time Ever Dream Match