Details have emerged on a scrapped pitch for John Cena to be part of the Evolution faction.
In January 2003, Randy Orton joined forces with Triple H, Ric Flair and Batista to form the complete lineup of Evolution.
On The Kurt Angle Show, former WWE writer Brian Gewirtz revealed that John Cena’s name was brought up in discussions when creative was choosing the final member of the faction.
Recalling the pitch, Gewirtz said:
“The big what-if, and when I say this, I want to point out that this was discussed for maybe under two minutes in a single writer’s meeting with Vince – a single meeting, in which there were hundreds if not thousands of meetings.
“This was during the (Mark) Jindrak, who is gonna be the fourth member of Evolution period of time. I do remember, I don’t know if it was me that said it but somebody said it, ‘What about that John Cena guy joining Evolution? What if we did that?’ Again, it was tossed about for a couple of minutes.
“I think it was John at that time had not really found himself yet. I think this was pre-rapping John. Great match with Kurt, but then what John? It was just ruthless aggression. But it was like, ‘I don’t think so. He just doesn’t fit.’ That was kind of the feedback back then.”
John Cena’s career didn’t exactly suffer from not joining the faction, with the star going on to become a 16-time World Champion. Cena recently discussed the possibility of a record breaking 17th title reign.
His most recent televised match was against Roman Reigns in the main event of SummerSlam 2021.
Stay up to date with WWE win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Transcription via 411Mania.com.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- ‘A Lot Of Concern’ Over Randy Orton Injury
- Report: Bandido Offered AEW Contract Following September 28 Dynamite
- AEW Facing ‘Brutal’ Live Show Ticket Sales
- Several WWE Stars Missing SmackDown Due To Hurricane Ian
- Antonio Inoki Passes Away Aged 79
- Brock Lesnar WWE Return Date Revealed?
- Young Bucks & Kenny Omega ‘Haven’t Heard Anything’ About AEW Return
- VICE TV Vince McMahon Documentary To Cover WWE Departure
- Rush Officially Signs With AEW
- Here’s Everyone Chris Jericho Could Face For The ROH Title