WWE announced a Tag Team Turmoil match for night one of WrestleMania during Raw last night, pitting Naomi & Lana against Mandy Rose & Dana Brooke, The Riott Squad, and Natalya & Tamina.
The winner of that match will progress to night two of WrestleMania, challenging Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler for the WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship, but it has emerged that these weren’t the original plans.
Reliable Twitter source WrestleVotes has revealed that the original plan for the show saw a Battle Royal taking place, with the two final women in the bout earning the Women’s Tag Team Championship shot:
Original idea prior to the Women’s Tag Team Turmoil match being decided on was to have the annual Women’s Battle Royal where the final 2 would be “winners” & form a tag team the next night. Much like the WM 15 Battle Royal that Test & D’Lo won, then lost later to Owen & Jarrett.
As WrestleVotes writes, something very similar happened at WrestleMania 15 in 1999. A Battle Royal was won by Test and D’Lo Brown, who later lost a Tag Team title match to Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett.
As of right now, there is no word on why the plans changed and why WWE higher-ups decided against this battle royal idea. For any additional information on the matter, make sure you stay tuned to WrestleTalk.com.
- WWE Women’s Star Slaps Braun Strowman (Video)
- AEW Files Trademark On Interesting New Term
- AEW Star Announces 2023 Will Be Their Last Year Wrestling
- Major Championship Matches Official For December 7 AEW Dynamite
- Wrestling World Unites For Heartwarming Tribute
- Sami Zayn Reveals How Far Back Bloodline Story Was Pitched
- Backstage Details On Scrapped Plans For WWE Star In-Ring Return
- ‘Bidding War’ For WWE Show Delaying Next Episode
- Hilarious Pitch For Vince McMahon To Sing Black Eyed Peas Songs Revealed
- New Segment Announced For December 7 AEW Dynamite