New Japan Pro-Wrestling has officially announced Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada for the first night of Wrestle Kingdom 16.
Wrestle Kingdom 16 has its first of three main events official, as Kazuchika Okada will challenge IWGP World Heavyweight Champion Shingo Takagi on night one in the Tokyo Dome, January 4 2022.
Okada and Takagi have faced off twice in 2021, with Takagi eliminating the Rainmaker in the first round of the New Japan Cup, and pinning Okada again at Dominion to capture the then vacant IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Since then though, Okada was dominant en route to victory in G1 Climax 31, and declared his achievement during the tournament of tournaments to be even greater than that represented by Takagi’s title.
Indeed Okada resurrected the retired V4 IWGP heavyweight Championship as a symbol of his G1 victory, and has said that this January 4 meeting will be less about him challenging for the world title, but rather a clash of which champion is the stronger. Who holds sway in New Japan Pro-Wrestling? The undisputed event of the year is January 4, 5 and 8 2022 at Wrestle Kingdom 16!
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- WWE ‘Higher Up’ Reveals Real Backstage Reaction To Rise Of Sami Zayn
- Celebrity Waiting For Call To Make WWE Return
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Top Star Argues WWE’s Investment In Roman Reigns Has Only Just Started Paying Off
- Former NHL Player Makes In-Ring Debut At IMPACT Wrestling TV Tapings
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’