Tommaso Ciampa has addressed criticism regarding his position in NXT, conceding that he doesn’t fit the current vision for the rebooted brand.
Prior to the rebranding, WWE President Nick Khan confirmed that the new ‘NXT 2.0’ would focus on showcasing younger and larger athletes. Despite this, the sub-6ft, 36 year-old Tommaso Ciampa won the vacant NXT Championship on the first show following the revamp.
Speaking with RN Pro Wrestling, Ciampa stated that he’s fully aware what the NXT Title now represents. Wanting to prove the doubters wrong, Ciampa said:
“Everybody had a vision of what this 2.0 was and I don’t think I fit that vision. I did not fit that mold. I’m a little older, I look the way I look, whatever you want to say and to be able to go out there on night one and win the NXT title and have my redemption story. And then to continue on with it, of course we’re humans, we read stuff, we see stuff, transitional champion and all that crap.
“And then to go out there and beat Bron Breakker, I’m the best NXT has to offer right now and I’m aware of that and I’m aware of what this title represents and what my responsibility is. It’s very cool to me to be in this position, to be able to do what I’m doing and to prove the doubters wrong and prove the people who support me right.”
On November 4, WWE released 18 in-ring stars. Another 10 names, mostly NXT veterans, were reportedly in ‘strong discussion’ for being released.
Quote via WrestlingInc.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Former WWE Star Offers To Be Bobby Lashley WrestleMania Opponent
- Ronda Rousey Publicly Slams WWE’s Women’s Division Booking
- Big Hint That Bray Wyatt Is Returning Soon?
- Cody Rhodes Shares First Look At WrestleMania Attire Paying Homage To NJPW, ROH & More
- Top AEW Merch Sellers’ Push Halted?
- LA Knight WrestleMania 39 Status Confirmed?
- WWE Star Says He Is Proud Of Bianca Belair Breaking Championship Record
- Former WWE Star Pleased He’s Not In AEW
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- WWE ‘Higher Up’ Reveals Real Backstage Reaction To Rise Of Sami Zayn