Austin Theory has opened up about what led to his on-screen partnership with Vince McMahon after Survivor Series 2021.
The current United States Champion would be seen as Mr McMahon’s “Chosen One” in an on-screen pairing that saw Theory being mentored by McMahon.
In a recent interview with Stadium Astro, Theory revealed what had led up to the relationship, saying:
“It all came from the conversation we had when I was doing the dark matches before I got to the main roster.
“I think he was starting to notice and hear from producers and agents and other people that were there that had been around me.
“They had been talking highly of me and he wanted to know who this person was.
“Sitting in that 15 minutes, I just let him know my passion and my work ethic and who I am as a person.”
Theory would then go on to discuss his first main roster TV appearance and the advice McMahon gave him, stating:
“I think that’s what led to it. I think he wanted to test me on that because I remember the first thing I ever did on TV, he walked up to me, I was about to go out, this was when I was starting the selfie thing, he said, ‘Go out there and be confident like I know you are.’
“That’s always stuck with me because I am confident and I stick with that and that’s what has always gotten me here and I can back it up.
“Just having that opportunity with him, it was amazing, and I’m glad that I was able to share who I am and it was enough for him to give me a chance.”
Austin Theory signed with the WWE in August 2019 and would go on to become a member of The Way alongside Johnny Gargano, Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell.
He would make his main roster debut in 2020, though return to NXT in August of that year.
Theory would be reintroduced to the main roster following the 2021 WWE Draft and has gone on to win the Money in the Bank briefcase in 2022 and has been two-times WWE United States Champion.
His partnership with McMahon would end at WrestleMania 38 when Theory and then McMahon faced Pat McAfee.
He will face John Cena for the championship in the opening match of WrestleMania 39 on April 1 2023.
Transcript from Fightful.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- CM Punk Responds To AEW Return Announcement
- Update On Cody Rhodes Upcoming SmackDown Appearance
- Seth Rollins First WWE World Heavyweight Title Defense Revealed
- Former WWE Star Reveals ‘Hypnosis’ Storyline Pitch To End Comedy Character
- Alexa Bliss Reveals In-Ring Return Preparations Prior To Pregnancy
- Top Star Explains Why He Didn’t Sign With WWE
- WWE Raw Star Shares Update On In-Ring Future
- WWE Star Spotted Training With Top Japanese Star
- WWE Name Opens Up About Losing Confidence, Names Stars Who Helped Him
- Absent WWE Star Still In Contact With Vince McMahon & Other Higher-Ups