A former WWE star currently in AEW has commented on matches from early on his career, specifically involving JBL.
Speaking on his Extreme Life of Matt Hardy podcast, Hardy recalled he and his brother Jeff facing off with the Acolytes (Bradshaw/JBL and Faarooq/Ron Simmons) in WWE, two men very much known for being gatekeepers of such for newcomers both in the ring and in the WWE locker room.
“I’ve never actually given anyone a receipt. There have been times where I’ve realized that I need to fight back. There was a time when we were working with The Acolytes, and they were beating the s**t out of us.
“They dropped the titles to us, we were the tag team champions, and we worked a couple of times after that, and I’m like, ‘Holy s**t, they can have these titles back. We’re in the record books – I’m good’.”
Hardy remembered a specific point when the abuse from Farooq and Bradshaw got too much, to the point where they had no choice but to give them a few back in retaliation.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know how much longer I can take this. This is like abusive!’
“And then when were in there, Bradshaw beat me down in the corner. I remember beating him as hard as I could in the face, and the next thing I had was just a very soft (jab to the face).
“So, it’s one of those things where the old-timers — where guys would beat you up and take advantage of you .. until you didn’t let them. Until, like, you stood up for yourself. I think that was kind of a case of that.”
An AEW star that likes to do put both himself and his opponent through their fair share of pain is Jon Moxley, who has been caught in a recent controversy following an extremely violent match at NJPW’s Independence Day event on July 4 and 5.
Transcript courtesy of WrestlingInc
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- Big Update On Becky Lynch’s NXT Future