National Wrestling Alliance owner and promoter Billy Corgan has stated that he previously received an offer to buy Ring of Honor.
AEW President Tony Khan announced his acquisition of ROH in March, ahead of the promotion’s return show, Supercard of Honor, in April.
The promotion had went on hiatus following the December 2021 Final Battle event, with all talent released from their contracts as part of plans to ‘reimagine’ the brand.
Speaking with Steve Fall for NBC Sports Boston, Billy Corgan claimed that he received a deal for ROH that he genuinely considered.
When asked if Tony Khan ever offered to buy NWA, Corgan said:
“No. Never had those discussions. Ring of Honor was offered for sale to me as well. I don’t know where I was in the pecking order.
“I got the feeling I wasn’t first, but I certainly wasn’t last. I did consider it.
“It’s an interesting thing to think about, like, similar to what Tony did, you know, create a brand that runs alongside your main brand and maybe there’s a synergy there that can happen.”
ROH’s most recent event was the July 23 Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view. With Tony Khan still working on securing a TV deal for the brand, the promotion’s next event will be Final Battle 2022 on December 10.
ROH titles are defended on AEW TV, with Chris Jericho currently the ROH World Champion after defeating Claudio Castagnoli for the gold at Dynamite: Grand Slam in September.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Bray Wyatt SmackDown Status Amid WrestleMania Uncertainty
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Konnan Picks Winner of Dominik vs Rey Mysterio WrestleMania Match
- AEW Star Set For First Ever Televised Singles Match
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Appear On WWE Programming The Night Before WrestleMania?
- Major WWE Name Denies Having Issues With CM Punk