Last night’s edition of SmackDown Live saw two new matches confirmed for August’s WWE SummerSlam event.
On top of a WWE Championship match being announced, Carmella’s WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship challenger was established to be the ‘Irish Lass Kicker,’ Becky Lynch.
Last week on SmackDown Live, after a run of impressive victories in prior weeks against the likes of Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Mandy Rose and more, Lynch laid down the challenge to the ‘Princess of Staten Island.’
SmackDown Live General Manager Paige then sanctioned a match between the two for last night’s episode, with the stipulation that if Lynch won, she would earn a title opportunity at SummerSlam.
A Dis-Arm-Her sealed the victory for ‘Straight Fire,’ as she stamped her ticket to the ‘Biggest Event of the Summer.’
‘Mella first won the title on April 10, when she cashed in her Money in the Bank contract on then-champion Charlotte Flair on the post-WrestleMania iteration of SmackDown Live.
Her first defense came at Backlash in May, where she defeated Flair once more.
Asuka was next to challenge the champion, but during their match at Money in the Bank, a certain James Ellsworth made his WWE return to assist Carmella and ensure a retention.
The case was the same in the most recent SmackDown Women’s Title match, which took place at Extreme Rules. It was once more Carmella vs. Asuka, but this time, Ellsworth was suspended above the ring in a shark cage. Despite this, a distraction was enough for Carmella to retain yet again.
The New York native has now held the title for 106 days and counting.
Lynch is a former WWE SmackDown Women’s Champion in her own right and was, in fact, the first person to ever hold that title.
She won a Six-Pack Challenge match back at Backlash 2016 and held the gold for 85 days before losing out to Alexa Bliss later that same year.
Many WWE fans have been crying out for another title run for Lynch, and it looks as if we may get pleasure once SummerSlam is in the books.
Are you happy Lynch is getting a title shot? Do you think she’ll defeat Carmella at SummerSlam?Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter here. You can also join us on Discord to chat with Oli, Luke, the magazine team, the website writers and each other here!
- WWE Stars Honor Late TV Star Jason David Frank
- AEW Star Praises Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat After Return Match
- Bayley Recruits Recent Celebrity WWE Signee to Damage CTRL?
- Correction On William Regal AEW Contract Status
- Sami Zayn/Roman Reigns Plans Revealed, William Regal WWE Return Update, Major WWE India Show – News Bulletin – November 28, 2022
- CM Punk “S**t The Bed” Putting AEW Into “Freefall” Claims WWE Hall of Famer
- Real Reason Why Roman Reigns Didn’t Have Red Gear For Survivor Series WarGames
- Former WWE Star Criticizes Aspect Of AEW TV For Being ‘A Bit Much’
- Details On New WWE Tryout This Week
- Triple H Reveals Scrapped Plans For Celebrity Appearance At Survivor Series