Ahead of his match with Eddie Kingston at AEW Revolution, Chris Jericho gave a wide-ranging interview with Sports Illustrated.
As one of the All Elite Wrestling originals, Chris Jericho spoke on making the decision not to be an executive vice president upon the founding of AEW.
In discussing his goal as an AEW original to put over new and young talent to support the overall sustainability of the new promotion, Jericho said:
“You mentioned earlier that I wasn’t an EVP. The only reason I wasn’t an EVP is because I didn’t want to be. They asked me and I said, “No, that’s way too much work for what you’re planning on doing.” And Tony Khan’s the boss, anyways. I knew that from the start. So I wasn’t going to play grab-a– and use EVP as an ego boost. F**k that. Just give me more money. My job was to be a big star and make new ones so everyone is valuable. Look at the guys I worked with in those first three months. I helped Cody reinvent himself. Jon Moxley, Jungle Boy, Scorpio Sky, Darby Allin. The Elite, working with them on a national scale. Giving a stage for Santana and Ortiz and Sammy Guevara, reinventing Jake Hager. Then getting into it with Orange Cassidy and then a whole year with MJF. We needed to show we had some really big names in AEW, which we do.”
Elsewhere in the interview, Jericho called out Eddie Kingston in advance of their hotly anticipated match on Sunday’s AEW Revolution pay-per-view, saying:
“I don’t want excuses or sob stories. I just want him to be Eddie Kingston, man. If he does that, he has a chance to beat me. I’m not unbeatable. F—, Santana beat me last week. Scorpio Sky beat me a couple times. Beating Chris Jericho isn’t like beating Bill Goldberg in 1998 or The Undertaker in one of his first 20 WrestleManias. You can beat me, but you’ve got to be really f*****g good to do it. So Eddie Kingston, this is your chance. How f*****g good are you? We’ll find out on Sunday.”
You can view the entire match card for AEW Revolution here.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- WWE ‘Higher Up’ Reveals Real Backstage Reaction To Rise Of Sami Zayn
- Celebrity Waiting For Call To Make WWE Return
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Top Star Argues WWE’s Investment In Roman Reigns Has Only Just Started Paying Off
- Former NHL Player Makes In-Ring Debut At IMPACT Wrestling TV Tapings
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’