By all measures, WWE’s first all-women’s pay-per-view Evolution was a roaring success.
The crowd was hot, the lighting was great, the set was different and the matches were good.
The epic Last Woman Standing clash between Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair was so good that Dave Meltzer awarded it the highest rating he has ever given a WWE women’s match, doling out ****3/4, a hair away from the coveted five-star rating.
Meltzer has awarded five stars for dozens of women’s matches of the years, the majority of which took place in Japan during the glory days of joshi in the country.
Although he has never gone that high for a WWE women’s match yet, the chances of it happening one day is certainly becoming a more realistic proposition.
This is only the second time a main roster women’s match has gone beyond ****. Thinking back to the days of Playboy bunny pillow fights and bra and panties matches really highlights how far the division has come in a relatively short space of time.
Below are the top rated women’s matches in WWE, according to Meltzer:
- Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair (Evolution) ****3/4
- Sasha Banks vs Bayley (Takeover Brooklyn) ****1/2
- Asuka vs. Ember Moon (Takeover Brooklyn III) ****1/2
- Sasha Banks vs Bayley (Takeover Respect) ****1/4
- Bayley vs Charlotte (RAW February 13 2017) ****1/4
- Asuka vs Ember Moon (Takeover Orlando) ****1/4
- Meiko Satomura vs. Toni Storm (MYC 2018 Semi Final) ****1/4
What do you think will be the first pairing to achieve the vaunted five-star rating? Could it come as soon as Survivor Series for the Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch match? Let us know in the comments.