After many years of the possibility of it happening, it wouldn’t be until 2019 that two members of a wrestling legacy would cross paths.
Despite being in WWE across Cody Rhodes’ original run in WWE, he wouldn’t have the much-anticipated match between himself and his half-brother Dustin Rhodes.
It wouldn’t be until AEW Double or Nothing in 2019 that the pair would finally face each other, delivering the dream match for the brothers and for wrestling fans alike.
Speaking on the Talk is Jericho podcast, Dustin spoke about the events that led up to the encounter, starting with his arrival in AEW and the high expectations, saying:
“Then I leave [WWE] and come here and this opportunity opens to have this WrestleMania moment on Double or Nothing, our first pay-per-view.
“‘Let’s give it all we got.’
“It was a two promo build.
“I think the story was already there.
“It was built up over the years because I had expressed that I wanted this match, and now it was, ‘Hey, we need to deliver it.’”
Expectations were high and neither Rhodes brother disappointed, though as Dustin pointed out:
“We could’ve missed a thousand things in that match, and it wouldn’t have mattered.”
Despite the high regard in which the match is held, Dustin sees no need to revisit that particular past glory in his storied career, explaining:
“I could never do anything like that ever again.
“Everybody’s saying, ‘Man, you guys need to have a second match,’ and it’s like, ‘No, I’m not touching that.’
“I can’t because it won’t live up to the expectations.”
Dustin recently revealed he has less than a year left on his AEW contract but also that he requires surgery.
Cody Rhodes is currently signed to WWE and is currently recovering from a torn pectoral injury.
Transcript from ewrestlingnews.com
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Sami Zayn Vs. Roman Reigns Plans Revealed After Royal Rumble
- Video: What Happened With Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens After WWE Royal Rumble?
- WWE Bringing Back Classic Title Belt Design?
- SPOILER: WWE Star Set For Return On Tonight’s January 30 Raw
- Update On Kenny Omega’s Health
- Where Was The Rock During WWE Royal Rumble?
- Former Women’s Champion ‘So Down’ For Intercontinental Title Shot
- Photo: WWE Star Shows Off Gruesome Royal Rumble Injury
- AEW Star Reacts To WWE Royal Rumble Backstage Photo
- Sami Zayn Discusses Triple H Contributions To Bloodline Storyline