Most remembered for his legendary tag-team alongside Bubba Ray as the Dudley Boyz, following the 2002 draft D-Von Dudley would be shipped away from his long-time partner and forced to adopt a brand new gimmick.
Known as Reverend D-Von, the character was not one that D-Von himself was particularly on board with, however, as revealed in a recent interview on Insight with Chris Van Vliet, there was one highly influential star who was – Triple H.
D-Von would recall to Van Vliet that Triple H’s belief in the gimmick would help persuade him to run with it, a belief that would result in Reverend D-Von actually scoring an extremely rare victory over ‘The Game’ on the May 9, 2002 episode of Smackdown.
“If Triple H didn’t believe that the Reverend D-Von gimmick was getting over the way it did, then he would have never in a million years, especially at that time, laid down for me.
“He would have never let that happen and Hunter had a lot of power and a lot of say. So back then, I’m not gonna say even more than he does now, but he had a lot of say back then – he had just married Stephanie, him and Vince are so freakin tight, they’re not butting heads or anything like that.”
In spite of Triple H’s faith in the character it would ultimately be short-lived with D-Von returning to fight alongside Bubba Ray at Survivor Series later that year.
While D-Von is no longer employed by WWE, departing his role as an NXT producer in January, his sons have been touted as potential future stars in the company, click here to find out more.
Here are full results from the May 16 episode of WWE NXT:
Cora Jade def. Fallon Henley in the NXT Women’s Championship tournament
Brutus & Julius Creed def. The Dyad
At a restaurant, Tony D’Angelo was taken away by police for “questioning”
Noam Dar hosted Supernova Sessions with guest Dragon Lee, which set up Dar defending the NXT Heritage Cup against Lee at NXT Battleground
Dijak kidnapped Ilja Dragunov and tortured him
Carmelo Hayes & Trick Williams def. Charlie Dempsey & Drew Gulak
Kiana James def. Thea Hail
Wes Lee and Joe Gacy set up an NXT North American Title match for Battleground, before Tyler Bate came out and added himself to make it a three-way – Lee and Bate were both attacked together backstage by Gacy’s teammates The Dyad earlier in the show
Roxanne Perez def. Jacy Jayne in the NXT Women’s Championship tournament
Carmelo Hayes and Bron Breakker brawled and the show went off the air with both men down in the ring
Transcript courtesy of Sportskeeda
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Ricky Starks Responds To Claim That LA Knight Is A ‘Better Rock’ Than Him
- Popular WWE Star Opens Up About Being Released: ‘Hard Pill To Swallow’
- Latest On WWE NXT Europe Plans
- Rare Stipulation For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar At SummerSlam Revealed?
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- SmackDown Star Says He Got Over Without WWE Shoving Him Down Fans’ Throats
- Paul Heyman’s Intriguing Reaction After Jimmy Uso Accidentally Costs Jey Uso Championship Match
- AEW Star Becoming ‘More Important’ On Creative Team, Recent Contributions Revealed
- Paul Heyman Idea That Vince McMahon Thought Was ‘Terrible’ Revealed