Top NJPW star Hiroshi Tanahashi was crowned the new IWGP United States Champion during last night’s (August 14) Resurgence event.
In the main event of NJPW Resurgence, Tanahashi defeated Lance Archer to capture the IWGP US Title for the first time in his career. The Ace is the seventh man to hold the title since its introduction in 2017.
Tanahashi’s victory also made him the first Japanese competitor to be crowned IWGP US Champion. In the heavyweight singles division, Tanahashi has now held IWGP Heavyweight, Intercontinental, NEVER Openweight and US gold.
The Ace originally challenged Archer with a video package that aired on the July 28 episode of Dynamite.
Tanahashi was the wrestler who originally referenced the “forbidden door” in 2020, proposing that he’d pay a visit to AEW if he defeated Chris Jericho at WrestleKingdom 14. Tanahashi was unsuccessful in 2020, but the door has been kicked down since.
Also during the Resurgence show, Will Ospreay has revealed that he has been medically cleared to compete, declaring himself the “real” IWGP World Heavyweight Champion.
- Another Reason Matt Riddle Had Heat With WWE Management Revealed
- Which Released WWE Stars IMPACT Wrestling Is Reportedly Interested In Revealed
- WWE Star Was ‘Late’ Addition To Recent Release List
- Promotions Interested In Matt Riddle After WWE Release Revealed
- Another Huge Update On Edge’s WWE Future
- WWE Airs Hype Video For Jade Cargill On SmackDown
- Professional Wrestling Term Added To Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- WWE Star’s ‘Outside Commitments’ Causing Management To ‘Figure Things Out’
- AEW Star Sets Sights On Miley Cyrus For WrestleDream
- NXT Star Told He’s Not Ready For WWE Main Roster