Top NJPW star Hiroshi Tanahashi was crowned the new IWGP United States Champion during last night’s (August 14) Resurgence event.
In the main event of NJPW Resurgence, Tanahashi defeated Lance Archer to capture the IWGP US Title for the first time in his career. The Ace is the seventh man to hold the title since its introduction in 2017.
Tanahashi’s victory also made him the first Japanese competitor to be crowned IWGP US Champion. In the heavyweight singles division, Tanahashi has now held IWGP Heavyweight, Intercontinental, NEVER Openweight and US gold.
The Ace originally challenged Archer with a video package that aired on the July 28 episode of Dynamite.
Tanahashi was the wrestler who originally referenced the “forbidden door” in 2020, proposing that he’d pay a visit to AEW if he defeated Chris Jericho at WrestleKingdom 14. Tanahashi was unsuccessful in 2020, but the door has been kicked down since.
Also during the Resurgence show, Will Ospreay has revealed that he has been medically cleared to compete, declaring himself the “real” IWGP World Heavyweight Champion.
- Karrion Kross’ Status For WWE Clash At The Castle Main Event Revealed
- Big Name Fired By WWE, Triple H Re-Signs Another Released Star, Logan Paul Backstage Heat – News Bulletin – August 9, 2022
- Dexter Lumis Returns On WWE Raw
- Fans Are Confused By Nikki A.S.H & Doudrop’s Car During WWE Raw Segment
- Several Johnny Gargano References Made On WWE Raw
- Complete WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship Tournament Bracket
- Kevin Owens Brings Back His Vicious Side At The Expense Of Ezekiel
- Hilarious Video Of Tony Khan At Sammy Guevara & Tay Conti’s Wedding
- WWE 2K23 Officially Confirmed, Release Date Window Revealed?
- AEW Star Malakai Black Reveals He Recently Survived Career-Threatening Injury