Malakai Black has recalled telling his wife, Zelina Vega, that he wanted out of WWE months before he was released by the company.
Speaking on Talk is Jericho, Black compared his final months in WWE with hitting his head against a wall. Noting that WWE weren’t helping him over the obstacle, Black said:
“Towards the end of my stint in WWE, I felt it was time to go. I felt they made the decision for me. I told my wife months in advance, ‘this isn’t working out the way they promised me it was going to work out. I’m going to move on to different things.’ I felt like I hit a wall and they don’t want to push me over the wall and I wasn’t going to keep bumping my head into the wall because eventually, I feel I owe myself more in life. I want to be a player.”
Black was let go by the company in June. Because of a contract oversight, he was able to sign with AEW following the July 7 episode of Dynamite.
The former NXT Champion made his in-ring debut at the August 4 AEW Homecoming show, pinning Cody Rhodes in a matter of minutes. Following the bout, Rhodes teased his retirement from pro-wrestling.
Quote via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Irate Jon Moxley Responds To CM Punk In Expletive-Filled Retort
- Major Change Confirmed For WrestleMania 39 Match
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Major AEW Star To Be Out ‘For A While’ After Suffering Legitimate Injury
- Jon Moxley On AEW: ‘I Have Never Seen So Much Bulls**t Drama In One Place In My Entire F**king Life’
- Vince McMahon Era Rule ‘Effectively Dead’ Under Triple H
- Rumor Killer On WWE Star Taking ‘A Long Time’ Away From The Company
- WWE Star Debuts New Entrance Theme On Pre-WrestleMania Raw
- NXT Star Makes Main Roster Debut
- NXT Star Makes Cameo You Probably Missed On WWE Raw