It has been reported by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi has suffered a broken neck.
The injury reportedly occured during his match with Dragon Lee at the G1 Special in San Fransisco when he took a phoenix-plex and landed directly on top of his head. Takahashi finished the bout but was rushed to hospital afterwards.
New Japan Pro Wrestling have yet to confirm anything, so there is hope that this is not as severe as initially thought. If the report is accurate, the impact on his career could be devastating and he would almost certainly have to vacate the title.
Hiromu Takahashi most recently won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship for the second time by defeating Will Ospreay at Dominion in June, and had won the Best of the Super Juniors tournament by defeating Taiji Ishimori in the finals. He was looking to go on the most successful run of his career until this injury occurred.
WrestleTalk will keep you updated on the situation as it moves forward.
What are your opinions on the wound and how it occured? What is your favorite Hiromu Takahashi match? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter and Discord.
- g1 special in san francisco
- iwgp junior heavyweight champion
- new japan pro wrestling
- los ingobernables de japon
- Hiromu Takahashi
- dragon lee
- best of the super juniors
- WWE Hall Of Famer Reacts To Trinity Fatu Tribute At IMPACT Under Siege 2023
- Cody Rhodes Shares Message Ahead Of Brock Lesnar Match At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Roman Reigns Shares Final Message Before WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Former Champion Becomes A Free Agent, Multiple Promotions Interested
- Ex-NXT Star Helps Trish Stratus Beat Becky Lynch At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Big Update On WWE World Heavyweight Championship Lineage After Seth Rollins’ Win
- WWE Crowns New World Heavyweight Champion At Night Of Champions
- VIDEO: Jimmy Uso Turns On Roman Reigns, Jey Uso Reacts
- Full Match Order For WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Surprise Title Change At WWE Night Of Champions 2023