It has been reported by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi has suffered a broken neck.
The injury reportedly occured during his match with Dragon Lee at the G1 Special in San Fransisco when he took a phoenix-plex and landed directly on top of his head. Takahashi finished the bout but was rushed to hospital afterwards.
New Japan Pro Wrestling have yet to confirm anything, so there is hope that this is not as severe as initially thought. If the report is accurate, the impact on his career could be devastating and he would almost certainly have to vacate the title.
Hiromu Takahashi most recently won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship for the second time by defeating Will Ospreay at Dominion in June, and had won the Best of the Super Juniors tournament by defeating Taiji Ishimori in the finals. He was looking to go on the most successful run of his career until this injury occurred.
WrestleTalk will keep you updated on the situation as it moves forward.
- WWE SmackDown Live Results – May 27, 2022
- Raquel Rodriguez Finishing Move Gets New Name After Previous Name Deemed Too Vulgar
- Charlotte Flair Marries Andrade El Idolo
- Bryan Danielson & William Regal Arrive Early To AEW Tapings To Train With Younger Talent
- CM Punk Updates His List Of AEW Dream Matches
- Paige VanZant Will Make AEW In-Ring Debut At Double Or Nothing
- New Documentary ‘Wrestling With Whiteness’ Premiering Today
- Jade Cargill On The Baddies Concept: ‘Where Are The Women Wrestling Fans?’
- AEW Fan Fest Today In Las Vegas Ahead Of Double Or Nothing
- Tony Khan Felt It Was ‘Hugely Important’ For AEW To Re-Sign Jim Ross