A backstage update has emerged on former NXT Women’s Champion Io Shirai’s absence from WWE TV.
Shirai hasn’t wrestled since NXT Stand & Deliver on April 2. It had been speculated that Shirai was injured after images began circulated appearing to show Shirai wearing what looked like a medical boot in the weeks following the event.
Fightful Select (subscription required) now reports that a WWE source confirmed that Shirai is currently out of action due to injury, but didn’t confirm the nature of the condition. While the severity of the injury is unclear, it was also stated that Shirai hasn’t been factored into any NXT creative plans for the near future.
While there was no official timetable for her return provided, the WWE source was reportedly hopeful that Shirai will be healed up ‘in the summer’.
It had previously been speculated that Shirai had injured her leg while performing a moonsault during the NXT Women’s Title bout at Stand & Deliver.
Check out a list of injured WWE stars and their expected return dates right here.
- WWE Star Bayley’s Hilarious Reaction To ‘Bayley Is Hot’ Fan Sign
- WWE Star Unmasks & Swaps With Fan
- AEW Star Sends Heartfelt Message To WWE’s Nikki Cross
- CM Punk’s First Ever WWE Opponent Recalls Going Off Script In Match
- AEW Star Set For First Singles Match In Over Five Months
- Dominik Mysterio Shares Rare Heartwarming Moment With Fan At WWE Event
- New Feud For AEW Championship Revealed
- Long-Absent AEW Star Teases Match With Former Partner
- Backstage Update On Randy Orton’s WWE Contract
- AEW Star Wears Protective Apparatus For First Match After Facial Injury