Wheeler Yuta has recently become a regular feature on AEW Dynamite, Dark and Dark: Elevation in recent weeks, but things could have been completely different for Yuta this year.
Fightful Select (subscription required) recently noted that there was a name at a set of WWE tryouts that didn’t receive an offer from the company that allegedly ‘turned heads’ within the Performance Center, and raised some flags that the recruitment process had changed.
The wrestler in question was Wheeler Yuta, who has since gone on to regularly feature on AEW programming after his May 2021 WWE tryout. Fightful spoke with several people in NXT, even some people with influence at the time, who said that Yuta was a ‘perfect fit’ for what NXT had traditionally been.
One NXT talent pointed out that Yuta is six feet tall, 24 years old, could already work and had recent television experience, checking almost all the boxes that NXT had been looking for recently.
Three NXT talents said that the company not signing Yuta was a ‘shock’, and that they could tell a major shift was coming to the brand when a guy like that didn’t get picked up despite clear interest from ROH and AEW.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Hall Of Famer Reacts To Trinity Fatu Tribute At IMPACT Under Siege 2023
- Cody Rhodes Shares Message Ahead Of Brock Lesnar Match At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Roman Reigns Shares Final Message Before WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Ex-NXT Star Helps Trish Stratus Beat Becky Lynch At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Former Champion Becomes A Free Agent, Multiple Promotions Interested
- WWE Crowns New World Heavyweight Champion At Night Of Champions
- Big Update On WWE World Heavyweight Championship Lineage After Seth Rollins’ Win
- VIDEO: Jimmy Uso Turns On Roman Reigns, Jey Uso Reacts
- Full Match Order For WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Surprise Title Change At WWE Night Of Champions 2023