WWE announced yesterday that the ‘King and Queen of the Ring’ event in Saudi Arabia has been changed to ‘Night of Champions’.
The show will still take place in the Jeddah Superdome on Saturday, May 27.
WWE hasn’t given an official explanation for the change, but PWInsider has reported what it’s heard from sources.
According to the report, the change is a “creative choice” to “revive” the Night of Champions name and “bring it to an international market”.
There’s no word yet on what this means for the status of the King and Queen of the Ring tournaments that obviously would have culminated at the event.
Night of Champions historically had its own unique concept when it was around from 2007 to 2015, which was that every main roster championship would be defended on the show.
As we pointed out after the announcement, that may present an interesting scenario for the tag team titles, which are currently held by Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn, neither of whom travel to Saudi Arabia.
So you’d think either the rule of every title being defended will have to be relaxed, or Owens and Zayn will lose the titles sometime before May 27.
There is a draft planned to take place between Backlash and Night of Champions, so perhaps there’s a chance that the tag titles will become separated again instead of being one “undisputed” title, or something like that.
Either way, we’ll keep you posted with any news on what the plans are.
The May 27th Premium Live Event in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia will now be WWE Night of Champions! pic.twitter.com/Cxj40LzIza
— WWE (@WWE) April 13, 2023
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Former WWE Star Announces Pregnancy
- Update On How To Watch AEW Collision In The United Kingdom
- CM Punk Dedicates Impending AEW Return To WWE Hall Of Famer
- Huge Match Being Discussed For AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023
- Incredible Brock Lesnar Gesture At WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- WWE Star Reveals His Leg Is Partially Paralyzed
- AEW Star Makes Surprise AAA Appearance, Match Set For TripleMania XXXI
- AEW Star Wants ‘One More Run’ As A Wrestler
- Absent AEW Star ‘Not Being Brought Up Creatively’
- Paul Heyman Describes ‘Method Acting’ With Current AEW Star