Former WWE writer and producer Road Dogg (Brian James) has recalled Paul Heyman pitching for WWE to push Montez Ford years ago.
Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins have mostly wrestled as a team since arriving on the main roster in 2019.
There has been speculation that WWE is preparing Ford for a singles run, with the company putting over Ford specifically during recent Street Profits tag matches.
Speaking on Busted Open Radio, Brian James noted that Paul Heyman had pitched Ford hard to Vince McMahon about five years ago:
“Montez Ford is a guy right now that is in the conversation of, ‘Holy mackerel.’ Paul Heyman had that conversation with Vince McMahon, while I sat in the room, about five years ago about Montez. Pitched him hard. We all knew Montez, but he was new.
“Paul saw it. He saw this was coming. He was the first one I heard say Montez, but Montez is the total package. What a great guy, a level head on his shoulders, a great athlete. He might be the next big guy.”
When asked if the chances of Montez Ford getting pushed will rise now that Triple H is running WWE creative, James said:
“It definitely could. I’m not saying it’s going to happen Monday or Friday, but it would be on the fast track, I would imagine, especially if Paul (Heyman) is in the other Paul’s [Triple H] ear. I’m sure he is because that’s his business.
“I think things are going to change in WWE and it’s time. It was time. A seat that I believe Hunter should have been sitting in for a while and I’m glad he’s finally there. The wrestling fan will appreciate that a lot more too. If you can’t tell, I’m unemployed and trying to get my job back (laughs).
“I also believe everything I said and mean it. Hunter sat at that table a lot and pitched stuff where everyone went, ‘yeah, yeah’ and it wouldn’t make it to the top. Now, we will start to see. I think we’re going to start to see shades of NXT Black & Gold on the main roster. I believe that was the mixture that you need of wrestling and great entertainment.”
At SummerSlam, the Street Profits will challenge for The Usos’ Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship. Check out the announced card for Saturday’s (July 30) premium live event right here.
Brian James was let go by WWE in January during the first round of Performance Center cuts of the year.
Stay up to date with every WWE departure of 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Transcription via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Paul Heyman Breaks Silence After Jimmy Uso Bloodline Betrayal
- Top WWE Women’s Division Star Responds To Asuka Title Win At Night Of Champions 2023
- WWE Star’s Victory Ends 17-Year Streak At Night Of Champions 2023
- Shane McMahon Update Following WrestleMania 39 Injury
- VIDEO: What Happened After WWE Night Of Champions 2023 Went Off The Air?
- AEW Star Wants Rematch With Mercedes Mone
- Multiple Stars Left ‘Frustrated’ By Current WWE Merch
- PHOTO: Mandy Rose Spotted On Boat With Several NXT Stars
- Jey Uso Breaks His Silence After Jimmy Uso Betrays Roman Reigns At Night Of Champions 2023
- ‘Last Minute’ Change To AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 Revealed