AEW star Shawn Spears has opened up about the chair incident with Cody Rhodes at AEW Fyter Fest 2019.
At the June 29, 2019 event, Spears attacked Rhodes with a steel chair following the AEW EVP’s match against Darby Allin.
In a now-infamous botch, Rhodes took an unprotected chair shot to the head, which caused him to bleed heavily after the chair’s backrest caught the bach of Cody’s head.
Speaking on INSIGHT with Chris Van Vliet, Spears recalled Cody ‘busting his balls’ after the botch.
Revealing the advice Rhodes gave him before the spot, Spears said:
“‘Swing for the fences’ was the term. I said, ‘Okay, put your hands up’, and he goes, ‘No.’ I was like, ‘Buddy, you gotta put your hands up’, and he says, ‘No.’ I was like, ‘Damn it.’
“So again, it’s Cody, I trust him. He trusts me. You can shave down a chair as much as you want. It’s not the flat part, it’s the lip of the chair that is always the most dangerous part.
“That’s usually the part that catches somebody, and in this case, it was, and it was just a fraction off. He’ll take the rap himself. I’m swinging, so I take the rap for it. It’s my fault.
“But I hit him and it was a wonderful reaction and it got the shock value that it did. You hear the term, ‘red equals green’, and it’s, you know, ‘blood is money’, and all that kind of stuff.
“I just remember hitting him, listening, and I look at Brandi, and we have a little moment there. I look back at Cody, and that’s when I see the pool, and I just went, ‘Oh s**t.’
“I look at Brandi, and she’s kind of looking at Cody. Then she looks at me, and I go, ‘Sorry, I gotta get out of here.’
“I got to the back and I had tears in my eyes. I was profusely apologizing to her because I felt so bad. I loved that guy. He’s like a brother.
“Then I go to check on him and he’s on the table face down and I go, ‘Hey, man, look, I’m so sorry. Are you okay?’ He’s like, ‘You are the most unsafe professional wrestler I’ve ever seen in my life.’
“He starts just busting my balls. I’m like, ‘You don’t understand where I’m at right now man. I’m having a hard time.’ He goes, ‘Yeah, I’d have a hard time too. I am having a hard time getting stitches put in my head.’
“I’m just like, ‘Ah, this guy.’ But that was the night it got, business wise, it got a lot of buzz. It set us up for what would happen at All Out.”
Spears has revealed that he has one last goal he wants to achieve before retiring, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Ricky Starks Responds To Claim That LA Knight Is A ‘Better Rock’ Than Him
- Latest On WWE NXT Europe Plans
- Rare Stipulation For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar At SummerSlam Revealed?
- PHOTO: AEW Star Shows Off Stitches On His Face After Bloody Match
- Popular WWE Star Opens Up About Being Released: ‘Hard Pill To Swallow’
- KENTA Responds To Forbidden Door 2023 Rumors With Message For Tony Khan
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- AEW Star Becoming ‘More Important’ On Creative Team, Recent Contributions Revealed
- SmackDown Star Says He Got Over Without WWE Shoving Him Down Fans’ Throats