A potential spoiler has come to light on who will be challenging AJ Styles for the Intercontinental Championship at SummerSlam on August 23.
According to PWInsider, the direction at the latest set of SmackDown of SmackDown tapings points towards Styles defending against Jeff Hardy.
The build for this match was originally slated to be taped last week but WWE decided to only tape one episode instead of two so the second is today instead.
The match might seem like it’s coming out of nowhere a little bit as Hardy is fresh off a program with Sheamus and AJ Styles has defended against Drew Gulak, Matt Riddle and Gran Metalik in recent weeks.
WWE has obviously yet to announce Styles vs Hardy as of this writing, but the confirmed card so far is as follows:
- Drew McIntyre (c) vs. Randy Orton – WWE Championship
- “The Monster” Braun Strowman (c) vs. “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt – Universal Championship
- Dominik Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins – No Disqualification Match
- Sasha Banks (c) vs. Asuka – Raw Women’s Championship
- Bayley (c) vs. TBD – SmackDown Women’s Championship
- Street Profits (c) vs. Andrade & Angel Garza – Raw Tag Team Championship
- Apollo Crews (c) vs. MVP – United States Championship