Two-time WWE Champion AJ Styles has revealed what Vince McMahon told him when he first signed with WWE in 2016.
Styles was somewhat of an anomaly because he skipped NXT and headed straight to the main roster despite coming from the indies, or more specifically being a “TNA guy”.
Despite that, it seems that Vince McMahon was willing to let Styles sink or swim and was open to allowing him to be himself.
Speaking on the latest After The Bell podcast, Styles said:
“My first match that I was in, not necessarily the Rumble but was in, Vince said, ‘I’ve got a lot of guys that can do what you do’, he said he needed a pitbull. That’s what I’ve always been, okay, I know this guy. He allowed me to be AJ Styles, I didn’t have to change anything about myself, how I worked. He basically just gave me permission to be the guy that I’ve always been.”
Clearly McMahon’s a fan, because Styles has been positioned as a top guy for several years now and it doesn’t seem like that’s going to change anytime soon.
He’s currently one half of the Raw Tag Team Champions with Omos, and their next title defence will be against the Viking Raiders.
Quote via Wrestling Inc
- Backstage Heat With CM Punk Leads To Colt Cabana Missing AEW Shows?
- Former WWE Star Paul London ‘Insulted’ By Offer From AEW
- AEW Rampage Live Results – May 27, 2022
- WWE Changes Ludwig Kaiser’s Name For Second Time This Week
- WWE Locker Room Against Sasha Banks But Not Naomi After Walkout Controversy?
- NJPW Officially Addresses ‘Severe Disagreement’ With Kota Ibushi
- Tony Khan Takes Shots At WWE Changing Money In The Bank Location
- Which Stars WWE Meant When Claiming Sasha Banks & Naomi Didn’t Want To Work With Them
- Queen Zelina Injured, Timeline For Return Revealed
- WWE SmackDown Live Results – May 27, 2022