Two-time WWE Champion AJ Styles has revealed what Vince McMahon told him when he first signed with WWE in 2016.
Styles was somewhat of an anomaly because he skipped NXT and headed straight to the main roster despite coming from the indies, or more specifically being a “TNA guy”.
Despite that, it seems that Vince McMahon was willing to let Styles sink or swim and was open to allowing him to be himself.
Speaking on the latest After The Bell podcast, Styles said:
“My first match that I was in, not necessarily the Rumble but was in, Vince said, ‘I’ve got a lot of guys that can do what you do’, he said he needed a pitbull. That’s what I’ve always been, okay, I know this guy. He allowed me to be AJ Styles, I didn’t have to change anything about myself, how I worked. He basically just gave me permission to be the guy that I’ve always been.”
Clearly McMahon’s a fan, because Styles has been positioned as a top guy for several years now and it doesn’t seem like that’s going to change anytime soon.
He’s currently one half of the Raw Tag Team Champions with Omos, and their next title defence will be against the Viking Raiders.
Quote via Wrestling Inc
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Scrapped Plans For Rhea Ripley At WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Solo Sikoa Breaks Silence After Attacking Jimmy Uso On WWE SmackDown
- VIDEO: Former Champion Trains At D-Von Dudley Wrestling Academy
- Major WWE Name Touts Storytelling Of Bloodline Angles
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- Big Update On GUNTHER WWE Intercontinental Title Plans
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?