It actually happened. Stone Cold Steve Austin wrestled a match at last night’s WrestleMania 38 Saturday show, defeating Kevin Owens in a No Holds Barred match.
Fightful Select (subscription required) has provided more information on the discussions to get Austin out of retirement, noting that they first pitched the idea to Austin back in January, which was also when Owens learned of the plans.
Fightful notes that the actual match was kept fairly tight lipped, with Vince McMahon adamant to producers that they would decide exactly what to do close to the day of the show, as to make sure Austin was comfortable with things.
They also noted that WWE hoped for Austin to feature in a backstage segment on tonight’s night two, though that is still up in the air as of last night.
The match itself or a program with Austin was not a part of the negotiations to retain Kevin Owens.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Date For Major WWE International Show Revealed?