Former WWE and AEW star Awesome Kong announced her retirement from pro wrestling during the August 28 NWA EmPowerrr show.
During the event, Taryn Terrell, JennaCide and Paola Mayfield interrupted Gail Kim’s promo. After things got physical, Awesome Kong ran down to the ring to eliminate Terrell and her friends.
While Kim was still in the ring, Kong took the mic from her long-time rival. Kong noted that it had been a tough year, and the only thing that would’ve made her get off the couch for EmPowerrr was Kim.
Kong announced her retirement, stating that if she was going to go out, she wanted to do it with the toughest foe she knew. Kong and Kim embraced in the ring in a heart-warming moment.
Over the course of her 19 year career, Kong has wrestled all over the globe. Kong has notably held TNA (IMPACT) Knockouts and NWA Women’s gold, as well as numerous titles overseas in Japan.
Between 2010 and 2012, Kong competed for WWE as Khama, becoming the third women ever to compete in a men’s Royal Rumble in 2012.
In 2019, Kong signed with AEW, joining Brandi Rhodes’ Nightmare Collective faction. Kong didn’t wrestle for the promotion after February 2020, and AEW decided not to renew her contract when it expired in June.
We wish Awesome Kong the best in her retirement.
- WWE Star Set For Big Push Heading Into WrestleMania 40
- WWE Star Pulled From Elimination Chamber Card Reacts To Event
- Absent WWE Star Makes Public Appearance Ahead Of In-Ring Return
- Top WWE Star Pushing To Return From Injury Before WrestleMania 40
- WWE Star Wants Rubber Match Against Major Free Agent
- Jack Perry ‘Scapegoat’ Video Airs Ahead Of In-Ring Return
- WWE Star Earns Second Place At Jiu Jitsu World League Tournament
- AEW Star Pulled From Collision Due To Illness, Replacement Announced
- What Happened After Kazuchika Okada NJPW Farewell Match
- Former AEW Star Set To Return For February 24 Collision