Some backstage news has come to light regarding AEW’s Owen Hart Cup tournament that was announced yesterday.
The annual tournament is part of a new relationship between AEW and the Owen Hart Foundation, which also includes some merchandise and video game-related collaborations.
Dave Meltzer explained on Wrestling Observer Radio that this is something that has been in the works for a while, because he had previously suggested a Brodie Lee tournament to Tony Khan, and Khan said he already had a tournament planned, which would have been this Owen Hart one.
“They’ve been working on this for a long, long time. It was months ago, I remember bringing up, and I don’t know if it was on a show, it may have just been a conversation, but I know that I brought up the idea to Tony Khan of a Brodie Lee tournament. And he said, ‘We have an idea for a tournament’. So this was the idea.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
There is no word yet on the format for the tournament or any dates, but we will of course keep you informed when further announcements are made.
- Details Of Another AEW Backstage Altercation Revealed
- Report: WWE Was Paid An Insane Sum For Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match
- Independent Promotion Announces Working Relationship With WWE
- Report Claims WWE Allowing NXT Stars To Work Select Independents
- Here’s When Nick Khan Expects WWE Sale To Happen
- Cody Rhodes On His Wrestling ‘Cardinal Sin’ At WWE Royal Rumble
- Name Change For WWE Star, Returns To NXT At Vengeance Day
- WWE Name Believes Rising Star Will Be Universal Champion One Day
- Kyle O’Reilly Update Following Post-Surgical Issue
- VIDEO: What Went Down With Bray Wyatt Following WWE SmackDown