While Cody Rhodes is currently one of the most beloved babyfaces on the WWE roster, that has not always been the case when it comes to the American Nightmare.
During his last few months in AEW, Rhodes was receiving negative reactions from the fans, which included the fans throwing his weight belt back at him when he threw it into the crowd.
Cody discussed his crowd reactions in AEW when talking to Sam Roberts, where he admitted to leaning into the reactions and having fun with them.
“I had fun with it, I did, even when the belt came back in the Target Center, it was perfect. Dax (Harwood) and those guys knew what to do, we leaned into it. I would always tell QT (Marshall) or Tony (Khan) or whoever was there, ‘I’m leaning in.’ I don’t know if anyone knew what that meant. I think that’s the story about everything at the end, ‘I don’t know if there’s a plan for this. This is chaos.’ Chaos, we did big numbers, one of the last Saturday specials did a killer number and we were doing great business, but chaos, you have to get the reigns on it at some point. Where is this going?
“The ‘exit interview,’ selfishly, I wanted fans to know, ‘I love you guys so much, and I did all this, and if you have forgotten about it, I don’t think that’s cool.’ It’s the nature of it. Me, Matt (Jackson), and Nick (Jackson) talk about that all the time. It’s like people don’t remember. I’m of the fault that when I’m 80 years old, ‘He did do all this.’ It’s so odd because I was so mad at different journalists in how they discredited my dad, took ideas and took things away from him, and later he passed away, ‘He did all of this.’ As mad as I was, I felt in that moment, ‘it’s happening all over again and happening to me.’ There are too many egos in wrestling, including my own. I can’t take credit for the revolution, there were other people. Was I a big part of it? Sure.”
Cody is set to face off against Brock Lesnar for the third time at SummerSlam in Detroit on August 5.
transcription via Fightful
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- ‘You Become A Liability’ – Current WWE Name Breaks Silence On Matt Riddle Being Released
- Becky Lynch Gives Brutally Honest Assessment Of WWE Women’s Booking
- Big Change To WWE Fastlane Match Confirmed?
- Tony Khan Apologizes For Technical Issues During AEW Dynamite
- Rare Roman Reigns Match Added To Upcoming WWE Show
- Several In WWE ‘Unhappy’ With Recent Release
- Update On WWE ‘Breach Of Contract’ Case
- WWE Star Using IMPACT Wrestler’s Entrance Music
- Spoilers For AEW Championship Matches Ahead Of WrestleDream
- Major Update On Edge WWE Status Amid Departure Rumours