Over a year on from his June 2022 DUI arrest, we now potentially know AEW’s original creative plans for Jeff Hardy according to his brother Matt Hardy.
Speaking to Daily Mail Online, Matt discussed the original plans for him and Jeff leading into the summer of 2022, plans that looked to be heading towards the Hardys capturing their 12th World Tag Team Championship and first for AEW.
“It was very tricky, because I feel like we were right on that point where I think the Hardys were going to have a run with the AEW Tag Titles, and we had some stuff planned out for the next few months, and then, once Jeff’s incident happened, then everything was up in the air, you know, and I was just kind of like in limbo.”
On the June 15 AEW Dynamite, there was set to be a three-way ladder match with then-champions the Young Bucks defending against the Hardys and Jurassic Express, and the belief was that the original plan was for the Hardys to win that match.
However, that was changed when Jeff needed a brain scan and the plan was to take him out of the ladder match for medical reasons, but then on the way to that brain scan, he was arrested for DUI.
As a result of Jeff’s near year-long absence, Matt eventually progressed into a program with Ethan Page and The Firm, a story that still continues to this day, now joined by a returning Jeff who made his return to AEW in April this year.
Despite only recently returning, Jeff has once again been off TV lately for AEW’s tour of Canada due to travel issues stemming from his prior arrests.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Fans Think They Spotted A CM Punk Tease During WWE Raw
- Backstage News On Change To Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) AEW Entrance Music
- Scrapped Championship Win Plans For Released WWE Star Revealed
- Which WWE Brand Jade Cargill Is Expected To Debut On Revealed
- Major Spoiler For Jade Cargill WWE Debut?
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Tony Khan Interested In Free Agent Rumored To Join AEW Or WWE
- WWE Removes Edge (AEW’s Adam Copeland) From Another Big Spot
- Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) AEW Debut Reaches Impressive Media Numbers