ROH World Champion Jonathan Gresham believes that the Ring of Honor talent helped to change the WWE style of today.
Speaking with Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp, Gresham discussed his mission with Ring of Honor under AEW President Tony Khan.
“I speak about this a lot, but it’s real—it’s not a character thing—I literally have this voice, I call it my conscience, that speaks to me very clearly. A lot of guys are panicking, contacting different places, trying to jump ship. Something told me, ‘You came this far. You made it to Ring of Honor, which you never thought it would be something that you could do. Just see it through, man. That’s the least you can do. This is your dream. You’re at the point you wanted to be. Just see it through. Don’t do anything else. This is Ring of Honor. This is exactly what I wanted to do.’ Fast forward to now, I think it was the right decision.”
Gresham continued on to discuss why he believes NXT was anchored by former Ring of Honor talent and helped to transform the WWE style into what ROH used to be.
“I feel like I’m not just ‘Ring of Honor’s the only way professional wrestling should be,’ but I feel like it is the standard. If you look at every top performer in every company, in the United States at least, they’ve had some kind of presence in Ring of Honor. When you talk about Samoa Joe, when you talk about the Briscoes, when you talk about Seth Rollins, the NXT brand for the longest time was top Ring of Honor guys. I believe there’s a reason for that. The essence of what Ring of Honor was, a lot of people tried to use it, and then they couldn’t.
“But the guys who somehow came to Ring of Honor, made it to Ring of Honor, made it to the top of the card, they carry on a piece of Ring of Honor and the essence of it in all of what they do and take it to other companies. They transformed the WWE style into what Ring of Honor once was. The company has just influenced the entire platform, the entire wrestling industry for the last fifteen / twenty years. I just want to be a part of something like that again. The way I view wrestling and a lot of guys coming up now, they view wrestling differently. Like Danielson did and like Joe did, and I think we can do that again, we can change the mold again with the new Ring of Honor.”
Jonathan Gresham will compete at his promotion TERMINUS on May 22 for their Modern Age Grappling event.
Quotes via Fightful
- WWE Raw Live Results – June 27, 2022
- Chris Jericho, Bryan Danielson & Paul Wight Appear On WWE Raw
- Backstage Details On AEW Stars Appearing On Raw, Jon Moxley Injury Update, Vince McMahon Allegations – Audio News Bulletin – June 28, 2022
- Another AEW Star Clears Twitter Amid Contract Expiry Speculation
- Fans Speculate AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired Following Cryptic Tweet
- Kevin Owens Misses WWE Raw Due To ‘Minor Situation’
- John Cena Granted Make-A-Wish Foundation Wishes Before WWE Raw
- AEW Star Jake Atlas Domestic Violence Case Dropped
- Dax Harwood Explains His Support For Sasha Banks Amid WWE Walk Out Drama
- Luke Owen Reviews WWE Raw – June 27, 2022