One of the biggest title changes on this past weekend’s AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door show was FTR defeating Great O Khan and Jeff Cobb to win the IWGP Tag Team Championship.
In doing so, FTR added to their previously won ROH and AAA tag titles, making them one of the most decorated teams in world wrestling.
Interestingly, Dave Meltzer is now reporting in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that FTR winning was not always the plan. In fact, NJPW head booker Gedo wanted the match to be AEW tag champions The Young Bucks vs O Khan and Cobb, with the Young Bucks winning the belts to become double champions.
“Gedo’s original idea was for the Young Bucks to win the IWGP tag titles on the show and make it AEW vs. IWGP tag titles. It was changed, and the Young Bucks were on board with that change with the idea that it’s a cool story for FTR to have the IWGP, ROH and AAA tag titles.”
Many believe the plan will be for FTR to also win the AEW titles to complete the set, possibly at AEW All Out on September 4, 2022.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- PHOTO: New WWE Undisputed Universal Championship Belt Revealed
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?