Malakai Black has praised Cody Rhodes for making him feel like a star when he debuted on AEW TV.
Black made his first AEW appearance on the July 7, 2021 Dynamite: Road Rager special, attacking Arn Anderson and Cody Rhodes. The supernatural star made his in-ring debut for the promotion during the Dynamite Homecoming special, defeating Rhodes in dominant fashion.
Speaking on the Universal Wrestling Podcast, Black recalled finding out that he was going to feud with Rhodes right out of the gate.
Showing appreciation to Rhodes for putting him over, Black said:
“(Tony Khan) said, ‘Cody (Rhodes) has an idea for that to mesh it in. It’s gonna be you and Cody’ and I just got butterflies, because I was like man, this is Cody Rhodes. It’s not like a small guy. He’s a ‘Rhodes’, it’s a big deal and he did a great job of selling me and making me feel like a star and he did a great job of putting me over and you know, etching my first few months in AEW as being very fruitful and being productive and giving me a sizeable rep and you know, I released that little video prior, the ‘Devil Made Me Do It’ which kind of wove with those black masks and stuff. Everything just kind of trickled into it. It was just fun man. Everything trickled into it and yeah, it was a great time.”
While Black is still with AEW, Rhodes left the company in February, before making his WWE return at WrestleMania 38 in April. The former AEW EVP will face off against Seth Rollins at WrestleMania Backlash this Sunday.
Black has also revealed the character advice that he received from The Undertaker, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via POST Wrestling.
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Reveals WWE Backstage Reaction To AEW Switch
- Two AEW Stars Expected To Take Time Off
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- John Cena Opens Up On Relationship With The Rock Following SmackDown Interaction
- Confirmed Schedule Errors For AEW Dynamite Head-To-Head With WWE NXT
- Recent WWE Surprise Was A ‘Late Creative Decision’
- ‘Edge’ Name Mentioned During Adam Copeland First Ever AEW Dynamite Appearance
- Last-Minute Change To AEW Dynamite Match
- VIDEO: Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) Immediate Backstage Reaction To AEW Debut