WWE has been changing a lot of their stars’ ring names in recent months, due to a new edict from the company. Recent WWE main roster call ups including Ciampa, Butch, Gunther, Ludwig Kaiser and most recently Max Dupri have undergone name changes when moving up to the main roster.
Fans are obviously confused when stars that they have seen compete under one name suddenly arrive with a new name, but WWE Hall of Famer Road Dogg believes it just takes getting used to.
Speaking to WrestleZone, Road Dogg agreed that the changes hurt in the short term, but that it just takes getting used to, and they are fine in the long run.
“It’s just like when you think back, they changed Fergal McDevitt, or whatever his name was, to Finn Balor. [People were like] ‘Oh my god, the world is gonna end.’ Now it’s just like ‘Finn Balor, yay!’ Do you know what I mean? It hurts for a minute when they change something you were used to. So you go ‘Oh, that sucks,’ and in six months you forgot about that and you have a t-shirt with the new name on it. We as a fanbase, and I say we because I’m a huge wrestling fan, we want what we want and we want it right now,”
For a list of all name changes in WWE in 2022 so far, click here.
transcription via Fightful
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Current Champion WWE Has Legitimate Concerns About
- Unseen AEW Matches Coming Soon?
- AEW World Champion MJF Set For Surprising Indie Appearance