WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns has revealed disagreements he had with Vince McMahon about his new presentation.
Specifically, Reigns and McMahon weren’t on the same page regarding his new entrance music, which is why its debut was delayed until after WrestleMania.
Speaking with Bleacher Report, Reigns said:
“A lot of it was just trying to create that iconic feel to where immediately you know, ‘Oh, he’s here. He’s coming out’. That’s where we went with the two different beats, the two different melodies: to have that 20-25 second opening that’s preparing them. I wanted it to transition from there into something more I could vibe to.
“The old Shield Roman Reigns theme was cool, and it grew on me. And if you do something over and over for a long time, you figure out how to vibe to it, but this is a track that makes my head nod, and you’ll see it and my cousins are doing the same thing in the back. It gives you that ultimate swag when you’re walking out. And especially for an entrance, that’s the most important thing: people seeing and feeling that swagger and energy and confidence coming off of you.
When asked why it wasn’t used at WrestleMania, he said:
“It wasn’t ready. Me and the big man weren’t agreeing on a couple of things, so I was like, ‘Screw it, I’m not going out to it now’. I have to feel it because nobody outside of my cousins and Paul is walking out to that. To me, these are the types of things I have to 100 percent be connected to, and that’s why our audience can trust me and the presentation and the character and everything I’m doing.
“If it doesn’t feel right, I’m not going to do that s**t. It’s got to be on point with how I feel, and I have to be able to commit and connect to it. Otherwise it’s going to be see-through. I’m not the type that can memorize and recite. I have to feel. I have to have instincts. And for me to be able to do that, I have to be comfortable and committed and believe in what’s presented to me so I can present it to our audience.”
Roman Reigns will defend the Universal Title against Brock Lesnar at Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia on October 21 next Thursday.
- Bray Wyatt’s New Ring Name Revealed?
- Report: Huge ROH Show Announcement Imminent
- Lio Rush Provides Update On Shoulder Injury & Return Plans (Exclusive)
- Kenny Omega On Whether He Thought Forbidden Door Would Actually Happen
- AEW’s Jungle Boy Out With An Injury
- More Matches Announced For AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Buy-In
- Stipulation Added To AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Six Man Tag Match
- Hiromu Takahashi Pulled From Forbidden Door
- Original Plan For WWE Hall Of Famer To Manage MVP
- Kenny Omega Opens Up About Wrestling With Vertigo In NJPW