A former ROH champion suffered a serious injury in a match with Zack Sabre Jr.
Tony Deppen has earned a name for himself across the independent wrestling scene and Ring of Honor, while making various appearances for AEW.
The former ROH World Television Champion has been a mainstay for GCW over the past couple of years and headlined their latest show on May 11 in Brooklyn, New York.
At GCW Fight Night Brooklyn, Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Tony Deppen, but unfortunately, Deppen didn’t walk away unscathed. Noting that “a freak accident turned into a severe break” of his arm, Deppen wrote in a social media post:
Somehow I’ve made it 17 years into my journey of pro wrestling without a major injury – until now.
Last night a freak accident turned into a severe break on my arm. I continued to work with a broken arm for a few more mins, cause they match meant way more to me than anything. According to the doctor, There’s no way for it to heal back into place naturally, so the only option is to undergo surgery.
At the moment they can’t schedule it for about a week or two; after that it’ll be a 2 month recover to make sure the steel plate in my arm heals properly.
I’ll be honest, at the moment, I’m scared and a little overwhelmed. 2 kids, not a contracted wrestler, and a variety of other things that come up as an adult; and I’m not sure what I’m going to do. But I’m going to do what I do, and get through this, and come out stronger than ever.
It’s not gonna be fun – besides COVID, this will be thee longest I’ve gone with out wrestling in 17 years. I don’t know what to do with myself, especially with one arm. Ha. all I know is I’m going to work harder than i have ever done.
Thanks to gcw the opportunity, thanks to Zach for the match – truly the botb – and thank you to the fans for the amazing support.
See y’all in 2-3 months
We here at WrestleTalk wish Tony Deppen the best on his recovery from this injury moving forward.
Blocked off my info – will be posting an update on my future in the next few hours. pic.twitter.com/WBDhB3yDXv
— Tony Deppen (@Tony_Deppen) May 12, 2023
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Hall Of Famer The Iron Sheik Passes Away Aged 81
- Major Change To Seth Rollins’ Upcoming Marvel Movie
- WWE Posts Statement On The Passing Of The Iron Sheik
- VIDEO: Solo Sikoa Has Hilarious Exchange With Young Fan At WWE Live Event
- Top Star Wants ‘Correct Amount Of Money’ For CM Punk Forbidden Door Match
- Another Championship Match Announced For June 7 AEW Dynamite
- Ex-WWE Name Concerned That Top Star Would Be ‘Wardlow-ed’ In AEW
- ‘Well-Liked’ AEW Name Retiring
- CM Punk Match Announced For First Ever AEW Collision
- WWE Tag Team Confirmed For Match Against Each Other