A moment that WWE planned to “go viral” at Money in the Bank had to be scrapped, leading to a change of approach for the Logan Paul storyline.
At WWE Money in the Bank, Ricochet went for a Spanish Fly that would have seen him and the social media influencer go through two tables.
The moment did get social media talking, but perhaps not in the way that anyone involved may have wanted.
Last night, a short video aired on Raw of a backstage brawl between Paul and Ricochet that was said to have taken place in London after the Money in the Bank ladder match.
According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, WWE decided to do that brawl to set up their match because of the Spanish Fly spot not coming off as intended.
“The idea was that spot that we talked about (the Spanish Fly through the tables) was supposed to be like this viral thing and it would go crazy and that was gonna lead to the match.
“And, people did see it, but it wasn’t as smooth to lead to the match so they did that angle (the backstage brawl) instead.
“They’re gonna shoot the angle next Monday on Raw to lead to the match.
“Instead of doing a ‘marquee’ match for Logan Paul, I think they want to get him to do an incredible athletic match, and Ricochet’s your guy if you wanna do that.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
On the July 3 episode of WWE Raw, Ricochet called out Logan Paul in a backstage interview segment, which can be seen below this news story.
Paul and Ricochet will have a “face-to-face” segment on next week’s Raw, which will most likely lead to their match at SummerSlam being announced.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- John Cena Sends Message To Dolph Ziggler After WWE Release
- The Rock Reacts To WWE Releases
- Released WWE Star’s Final Match Set For Tonight
- Report: Released WWE Star ‘Caused All Kinds Of Issues’ Behind The Scenes
- Big E Reacts To WWE Releasing Dolph Ziggler
- Dolph Ziggler Released By WWE
- Maximum Male Models React To Being Released By WWE
- WWE Official Comments On Recent Releases
- Released WWE Stars Reveal Backstage Details About Vince McMahon
- AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam Draws Highest Viewership Since February, Highest Demo Rating Since September 2022