A WWE Hall of Famer has blamed issues on television on a specific group of talent, accusing them of “ignorance or laziness”.
Bully Ray took issue with the state of the refereeing in AEW on Busted Open Radio, saying:
“I’m bringing to light the refereeing issues in AEW which continue to happen week after week for no good reason other than complete, utter, and sheer ignorance or laziness.
“And that’s all I can chalk it up to.”
Whilst Bully Ray would see this as an ongoing issue, he cited the match between Orange Cassidy and Jay Lethal from the March 8 episode of AEW Dynamite as an example.
He would reflect that both men were outside the ring, yet the referee wasn’t counting, choosing to join them on the outside and then do nothing.
Bully Ray would question the directive and state that it is incidents like this that consistently take him out of the match.
He would go on to highlight the importance of the referee in wrestling, adding:
“The refereeing sh*t just bothers me to high heaven and I think it needs to stop.
“To me, the referee is as important as the competitors. They’re part of the story of the match.”
AEW referee Aubrey Edwards recently addressed accusations of her being a character in an appearance on The Sessions with Renee Paquette.
Former WWE referee Mike Chioda had previously shared the best and worst things about the role.
There could be more opportunities for AEW referees to fine-tune their craft if Tony Khan gets his desire of more TV time for wrestling.
Transcript from Wrestling Inc.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Official WrestleMania 39 Night One & Two Lineups Revealed
- Newest Update On Bobby Lashley Vs. Bray Wyatt WrestleMania 39 Status
- Revealed: Will Vince McMahon Be At WrestleMania 39
- Report: AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired
- AEW Star Legitimately Injured On Dynamite
- Confirmation Of Big Change For WrestleMania 39 Match
- Shock Return & Heel Turn On AEW Dynamite
- Tony Khan To Retire Championship Belt Design
- Update On Legitimate Injury During AEW Dynamite
- AEW All Access Reveals Young Bucks Considered Retirement After All Out