Triple H can claim that he doesn’t book NXT to counter-program AEW, but there is no denying that we saw one of the biggest matches in NXT on tonight’s show, with just two week’s build.
Regardless of the build of the match, history was made tonight as Keith Lee became the first man to hold the NXT and North American Championships when he defeated Adam Cole at Great American Bash.
Speaking of making history, Keith Lee ended Adam Cole’s record-breaking reign as NXT Champion. Cole has held the title for 402 days, defeating Johnny Gargano to win the belt at NXT TakeOver: XXV last year.
Keith Lee has been North American Champion since late-2019, successfully defending against the likes of Dominik Dijakovic, Damian Priest and the aformentioned Johnny Gargano during his reign thus far.
BASK IN HIS GLORY.@RealKeithLee is a DOUBLE CHAMPION as he pins @AdamColePro to win the #WWENXT North American and #NXTChampionship! #NXTGAB pic.twitter.com/E49LNYnrWT
— WWE (@WWE) July 9, 2020
Interestingly, this result was spoiled last week after a member of the NXT roster posted an image of Keith Lee holding both titles. Clearly, he didn’t get the message that the show was pre-taped. You can read more about that story by clicking here.
Regardless of the result being spoiled, the match was unsurprisingly fantastic, and is certainly one that you should go out of your way to watch if you haven’t already.
- Irate Jon Moxley Responds To CM Punk In Expletive-Filled Retort
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Major Change Confirmed For WrestleMania 39 Match
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Major AEW Star To Be Out ‘For A While’ After Suffering Legitimate Injury
- Vince McMahon Era Rule ‘Effectively Dead’ Under Triple H
- WWE Star Debuts New Entrance Theme On Pre-WrestleMania Raw
- Jon Moxley On AEW: ‘I Have Never Seen So Much Bulls**t Drama In One Place In My Entire F**king Life’
- Rumor Killer On WWE Star Taking ‘A Long Time’ Away From The Company
- NXT Star Makes Main Roster Debut