A new IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion was crowned during today’s (February 19) NJPW Golden Series event.
In the main event of the show SANADA defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to finally capture the gold. This is SANADA’s first singles title win in NJPW, since signing with the company in 2016.
Celebrating SANADA’s victory, and teasing a potential forbidden door bout, NJPW tweeted:
“SANADA is the 13th IWGP US Heavyweight Champion! He thanks all his fans watching worldwide on #njpwworld for their support. What doors will this open??”
While SANADA’s reign with the title is the 13th in the championship’s brief history, the Cold Skull is just the 9th individual to hold the gold, after Kenny Omega, Jay White, Juice Robinson, Cody Rhodes, Jon Moxley, Lance Archer, Hiroshi Tanahashi and KENTA.
Tomorrow night’s Golden Series event will feature an IWGP World Heavyweight Championship bout, with Tetsuya Naito set to challenge Kazuchika Okada for the gold.
SANADA is the 13th IWGP US Heavyweight Champion!
He thanks all his fans watching worldwide on #njpwworld for their support.
What doors will this open??#njpw #njgolden pic.twitter.com/ndnZArjL6F
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) February 19, 2022
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Report: WWE Hall Of Famer ‘Adamantly’ Rejected Involvement In Current Star’s Storyline
- WWE Faction To Receive New Name
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- Bianca Belair’s Hilarious Response To Bizarre Asuka WWE Trend
- WWE Tag Team Set For Match Against Each Other?
- Top WWE Star Reportedly Set To Face GUNTHER On June 5 Raw
- Absent AEW Star Rejected Recent Return Plans
- Former WWE Star Tells Current Star To ‘Text Triple H’ Following Independent Show