Kenny Omega was one of New Japan Pro Wrestling’s biggest stars prior to the launch of AEW. He was IWGP Heavyweight Champion and the most popular foreigner in the company. Now, the most popular foreigner is Will Ospreay.
In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Omega revealed what he told Ospreay before he left Japan. Here is the full quote:
“One of the last things I said when I was leaving New Japan after my match with Tanahashi was to Will Ospreay. I told him there is no one with a larger tool box and set of tools than him, and it was just a matter of getting his s— together and figuring out how to use those tools properly instead of just doing s— just to show people you can.
And to his credit, Will’s figured it out. He’s regarded by a large chunk of people as the best in the world. But the thing is, as soon as you’re injured or people decide you’re not the best in the world, then what? How do you keep that passionate fan base with you?”
Omega has since become one of AEW’s top stars. He currently reigns as half of the AEW World Tag Team Champions with Hangman Page. Meanwhile, Ospreay continues to rise through the ranks of New Japan, joining the heavyweight division earlier this year.
Do you agree with Kenny Omega? Let us know on Twitter!
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Top WWE Star Working WrestleMania 39 With Broken Arm
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Top Star Argues WWE’s Investment In Roman Reigns Has Only Just Started Paying Off
- Former Women’s Champion Wants To Face GUNTHER For WWE Intercontinental Title