WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle has revealed that Chris Jericho wasn’t originally set to win the Undisputed Championship back in 2001.
Speaking with Chris Van Vliet, Angle told the story of how he was originally going to be the man to win the Undisputed Title, but Vince McMahon changed plans and went with Jericho instead.
“Vince McMahon came to me two weeks prior and said ‘We’re going to give you the strap again. You’re going to be the Undisputed Champion. I thought that was pretty cool, considering that the pool was Chris Jericho, The Rock, and Austin. Those three are the best of all time. I knew going into it, I was going to win.
“Five days before (the event), Vince gives me a call and says ‘I really want to give it to Jericho. I really think he could benefit from it.’ I agreed. If anybody needs it and can run with it, it would be Chris Jericho. I was very honoured that Vince had enough respect for me to tell me about the switch. For Jericho, it benefited him. It put him in that title picture and main event. Chris was always up there. He was such an important factor in the company because he could make anyone look good. He was one of our supported assets. I have more respect for him today than I ever did before. I can’t believe the things he can do now.”
Thanks to Wrestling Inc for the transcription
- Huge Match Being Discussed For AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023
- Ricky Starks Responds To Claim That LA Knight Is A ‘Better Rock’ Than Him
- Rare Stipulation For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar At SummerSlam Revealed?
- Latest On WWE NXT Europe Plans
- PHOTO: AEW Star Shows Off Stitches On His Face After Bloody Match
- Popular WWE Star Opens Up About Being Released: ‘Hard Pill To Swallow’
- KENTA Responds To Forbidden Door 2023 Rumors With Message For Tony Khan
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- SmackDown Star Says He Got Over Without WWE Shoving Him Down Fans’ Throats