Prior to this Wednesday’s shock AEW tag title change, which saw Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland win the gold, most fans fully expected AEW to build to an FTR vs. Young Bucks match, with more titles than you can shake a stick at on the line.
FTR are the current ROH, AAA and IWGP tag team champions, so it seemed only natural that AEW would have them challenge for another set of tag belts to add to their collection.
However, the title change appears to have thrown a spanner in the works for that match, and Dave Meltzer is reporting in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that a different, but equally “major” plan for the Young Bucks may now be in place, if people can just stop being injured.
Even though fans clearly wanted FTR vs. Young Bucks with all four tag titles at stake, as noted by the impromptu reaction last week, that was not the plan, at least for now. It could be something done long-term, but maybe not that dream tag match where you have two or the best teams of the era with belts from AEW, New Japan, AAA and ROH all in one match which could be viewed as historical. But not sure how long FTR would hold the IWGP and AAA belts. But there was a different major angle planned for the Young Bucks soon. Obviously Young Bucks & Kenny Omega vs. Adam Cole & Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly was a direction and AEW was going to introduce trios titles when Omega was healthy, but with Omega and Cole both out of action, no word on how close that would be.
Kenny Omega has been out since November last year, and Adam Cole is currently dealing with a shoulder injury, and it isn’t known when either man will be ready to return.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Ricky Starks Responds To Claim That LA Knight Is A ‘Better Rock’ Than Him
- Popular WWE Star Opens Up About Being Released: ‘Hard Pill To Swallow’
- Latest On WWE NXT Europe Plans
- Rare Stipulation For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar At SummerSlam Revealed?
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- Paul Heyman’s Intriguing Reaction After Jimmy Uso Accidentally Costs Jey Uso Championship Match
- SmackDown Star Says He Got Over Without WWE Shoving Him Down Fans’ Throats
- AEW Star Becoming ‘More Important’ On Creative Team, Recent Contributions Revealed
- Paul Heyman Idea That Vince McMahon Thought Was ‘Terrible’ Revealed