CM Punk made his return to AEW on last week’s AEW Collision debut episode, taking to the microphone to open up the show.
During the opening promo, Punk made reference to WBD head David Zaslav, noting that Zaslav calls him ‘One Bil Phil’.
The nickname ‘One Bil Phil’ was in reference to the rumours that the launch of Collision, a show centered around Punk and his return, would go hand in hand with a new TV rights deal for the company worth one billion dollars from WBD.
While no new deal was announced during the Upfronts as rumoured, the company are still hoping to grow to eventually reach that mark.
Speaking on the AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door media scrum, Tony Khan was asked by Dave Meltzer about Punk’s comments, and whether they were a reference to a new television deal.
Khan said that the comment mentioning Zaslac by name was a throwback to when Ted Turner would be referenced on WCW television on TNT.
He also added that the company is continually growing, and are trying to reach the number that Punk referenced, that being one billion.
During the call, Khan was also asked about the speculation that CM Punk had an ownership stake in AEW, which you can read about here.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- WWE Legend Shares Heartfelt Message For Dolph Ziggler After Release
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- AEW’s Saraya Says Ring Gear Collection Has Gone Missing
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE