Austin Theory has challenged his doubters after reflecting on the words of John Cena in the run-up to WrestleMania 39 in April 2023.
In the weeks before the match against Theory, Cena accused the young star of not believing in what he does.
Theory went on to retain the United States Championship against Cena, and continuing his reign until losing it to Rey Mysterio two weeks ago on SmackDown.
Despite the length of Theory’s reign (257 days), it had plenty of critics by the time it came to an end.
Speaking on WWE After the Bell, Theory addressed his doubters, saying:
“To me, it’s almost crazy being told that I don’t believe in myself when clearly, let’s use John [Cena] for example, I seen John Cena, he was in the middle of the ring on ‘Raw,’ and look where I am?
“I got to ‘Monday Night Raw.’ I’m on ‘SmackDown’ now. How are you gonna tell me that I didn’t believe in myself?
“Who is 26 years old that’s done the things that I’ve done in the WWE? And people always have something to say.”
Theory would look back at an instance when his career was claimed to be “over”, referring to the Money in the Bank cash-in against Seth Rollins, stating:
“I mean, let’s take it back to the Money in the Bank contract. When I lost that, my career was over, and then look what I did.
“I had the greatest United States Championship run of all time. And if I decide to go and grab that title again, then I will, but maybe I’m focused on the ‘Head of the Table’? Maybe the workhorse Seth Rollins?
“That’s a funny one too, calling him the workhorse, but look at how many times I defended the United States Championship. Look up how many matches Austin Theory has had in 2023.
“I’m sure it’s more than Seth Rollins. But those are the things that people don’t wanna realize because they know how great I am.”
At WWE Survivor Series: WarGames in 2022, Theory had won the United States Championship, coming off the back of an unsuccessful Money in the Bank cash-in two weeks earlier.
Triple H had poked fun at those who had suggested Theory’s career was over with that cash-in.
Transcript from Wrestling Inc.
Think you know the most about wrestling? Join our Wrestle League predictions competition for free, and be in with the chance of winning $250 of Amazon vouchers. Make sure you subscribe to email notifications to make sure you never miss a show.
- Fans Think They Spotted A CM Punk Tease During WWE Raw
- Backstage News On Change To Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) AEW Entrance Music
- Scrapped Championship Win Plans For Released WWE Star Revealed
- Which WWE Brand Jade Cargill Is Expected To Debut On Revealed
- Major Spoiler For Jade Cargill WWE Debut?
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Tony Khan Interested In Free Agent Rumored To Join AEW Or WWE
- WWE Removes Edge (AEW’s Adam Copeland) From Another Big Spot
- Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) AEW Debut Reaches Impressive Media Numbers