Buddy Murphy has revealed that he was contacted by WWE after they discovered an oversight in a released star’s contract.
This week, Aleister Black signed with AEW, a little over a month following his WWE departure. It was reported that Black was able to do this because WWE hadn’t changed his non-compete clause to 90 days when he joined the main roster, so he only had a 30 day non-compete clause.
In an interview with Fightful, Buddy Murphy revealed that WWE contacted him the day after he was released, concerned that they had messed up his non-compete clause.
Confirming that his clause had always specified 90 days, Murphy noted that August 31 is his day, saying:
“I received a phone call from the office the day after I was released saying that they received an email that they messed up and my contract was only 30-day non-compete and that if I wanted to prolong it to the 90 days that they would do that for me. I thought that was weird as I was a budget cut, but you’re still willing to pay me another two months, but it wasn’t me. I had my letter, which says ‘August 31.’ August 31 is my day.
“When it comes to the visa situation, the more time I have, the better so I can get prepared. Even if they gave me an out, I would have to take it for my life. They thought it was me (who had a 30-day non-compete). I informed them that it wasn’t because I received a letter with (August 31). It turned to relief. It went from panic to relief on the voice (on the phone call). Then they moved on. I think they panicked and obviously they got the name mixed up.
“It was someone, but it wasn’t me. Maybe Buddy and Aleister got mixed up. Buddy or Black, they are both B’s. They called me, not me. You hear all the things like the trash bag thing and I’m a pretty open-minded person and don’t get affected by it. I try and see both sides of the story. I don’t think there was any malice behind the garbage bag, but it’s not a good look, I get it. Do I believe there was actual malice to upset (talent)? No, I don’t. Definitely a s**tty thing to do once you’ve been released and your life is being changed.”
Black and Murphy were both released by WWE on June 2. Following his AEW debut, Black has shared backstage details surrounding his shocking AEW appearance.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Irate Jon Moxley Responds To CM Punk In Expletive-Filled Retort
- Major AEW Star To Be Out ‘For A While’ After Suffering Legitimate Injury
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Jon Moxley On AEW: ‘I Have Never Seen So Much Bulls**t Drama In One Place In My Entire F**king Life’
- Rumor Killer On WWE Star Taking ‘A Long Time’ Away From The Company
- Update On Backstage Heat Between Triple H & Top WWE Star
- Jon Moxley Reveals Why He Was ‘F**king Furious’ About Recent AEW Show
- ‘Sentimental’ Special Entrance Planned For Top WWE Star At WrestleMania 39
- Jon Moxley Has High Praise For Surprising AEW Star
- Top AEW Star’s Return Date Confirmed