We are saddened to learn of the death of former WWE referee Jack Lotz, who passed away on Saturday at the age of 86, after contracting Coronavirus.
His daughter broke the news of his death on social media, and explained the her father had contracted the disease.
Lotz refereed the famous Bob Backlund vs. “Superstar” Billy Graham match in 1978 for the WWWF Championship. He was also the referee for Hulk Hogan’s match against The Iron Sheik in 1984 where Hogan won the WWF Championship, a historic moment in WWF/WWE’s rise to wrestling supremacy.
A number of former WWE stars have taken to Twitter to pay tribute to Lotz.
Sad to hear Jack Lotz passed away
He was NY State referee did many of my early matches
Was ref for 2 @wwe title changes Backlund vs Graham@HulkHogan vs @the_ironsheik
A Korean War veteran
Saw him about 2 years ago
We spoke about 20mins he was raising $$ for the Veterans pic.twitter.com/zt9sJQBe7j
— Tommy Dreamer (@THETOMMYDREAMER) April 20, 2020
Saddened to hear of the passing of former referee John L. “Jack” Lotz this past Friday. He was a good, kind man. Always so nice. RIP good sir. pic.twitter.com/kmdSl2Zey5
— Jimmy Korderas (@jimmykorderas) April 20, 2020
Everyone at WrestleTalk sends their condolences to Jack’s family and friends at this sad time.
- Another Big Sign Released Star Returning To WWE
- Several WWE Stars Pulled From Indie Event
- Kazuchika Okada & Jay White Announced For Trios Bout Ahead Of NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17
- AEW Star Wishes CM Punk & The Elite Situation ‘Didn’t Happen’
- Top NJPW Star Explains Why Co-Promotional Event With STARDOM Should Happen ‘Every Once In A While’
- WWE Stars Honor Late TV Star Jason David Frank
- AEW Star Praises Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat After Return Match
- Bayley Recruits Recent Celebrity WWE Signee to Damage CTRL?
- Correction On William Regal AEW Contract Status
- Sami Zayn/Roman Reigns Plans Revealed, William Regal WWE Return Update, Major WWE India Show – News Bulletin – November 28, 2022